Pages

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Things that I like about Git


I have started to use Git sometime ago for my professional and private projects. I will expose here some features that I like about Git based on these experiences.

Integration with SVN
A large number of projects are still using SVN. Therefore the git-svn command allowed me to use Git locally and commit my changes on the central SVN repository.

Amend previous commit
It happens to me to forget some files or to add code comments in commits. With Git I have the opportunity to amend last commit and update my files.

Stash
Who has never had to suspend the current task in order to correct a new blocking bug or to implement an urgent unrelated feature? With Git, you save the current state of your work and retrieve it later.

Git is fast
Even if wasn’t convinced at the beginning, I found that Git commits are fast (especially when there is no merge :p). I am looking forward to see the behavior on larger projects.

Configuration
It is very easy to configure Git using configuration files: .gitignore, config, adding hooks, trigger scripts.

Branch and merging : multi-branch repositories and managing branch-heavy workflows
Those that use Git know what I am talking about. Git deals very well with branches, do not hesitate to use them. Moreover, new original workflows may be used to facilitate your work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

/* */